This Day in History: 2011-12-09

The School Footbridge in Newcastle Park, and crossing the Avon River, was reopened having been refurbished. The footbridge, widely used by the community and in particular young children attending the Toodyay District High School, had been closed on 23 November 2010 due to safety issues.
This project was completed without any contribution of ratepayer funds. The Toodyay Shire Council allocated $600,000 of the Local Royalties for Regions Fund and in addition, was successful in securing $145,000 of further competitive Royalties for Regions funding. Designed and fabricated by Landmark Products Pty Ltd, the bridge is constructed of decking that is a composite of plastic and wood. The refurbishments are based on the existing wooden substructure, with the upper frame made of galvanised steel, with concrete rams at each end, and hand rails.
Speeches were given by Shire President, Kevin Hogg, Grant Woodhams MLA and the Acting Principal of the Toodyay and Districts High School, Wendy Camenzuli. Students then delivered two tribute songs – one an adaptation of a pop song with lyrics relating to the bridge – before the structure was officially declared open.
Gaven Donegan cut the ribbon held by Grant Woodhams and Kevin Hogg, and unveiled the plaque. Gaven was one of the first students to cross the footbridge when the new Toodyay State School was opened in 1954. Also in attendance were the Hon. Mia Davies MLC, Trevor Harken (who was instrumental in progressing the project during his time as Acting Shire CEO), Lindsay Delahaunty (current Acting CEO), Shire Councillors and representatives from the Toodyay District High School.

Toodyay herald, Dec. 2010, p.13; Dec. 2011, p.20; Feb. 2012, pp. 1 (photos), 16.