This Day in History: 2010-03-24
Three Toodyay historic landmarks were reopened in front of a small crowd of local residents, Shire Councillors, Shire staff and volunteers. Graham Merrick, Shire CEO, acted as Master of Ceremonies throughout the afternoon. Extensions to the Toodyay Public Library in Stirling Terrace had doubled the size of the 1874 building. The architect was Brian Klopper, with the work undertaken by the Shire Depot team and local trades people. The Hon. Grant Woodhams, Speaker of the House, unveiled the plaque. The Newcastle Gaol Museum in Clinton Street had been revamped and the rising damp problem addressed. The seed money for the refurbishment came from Lotterywest. All the work on the Gaol was done locally, led by Peter Johnson and Shire staff. Sean Byron did the lighting and electrical work. Grant Woodhams was again asked to open the building. Later that day, Grant Woodhams revealed the plaque for the Connor’s Mill Museum Upgrade Project, also funded by the Shire and Lotterywest. As well as new displays and interpretation panels, new lighting had been installed in ca1870 building, funded by Dr. Richard Walkey and Sean Byron, with Sean doing the installation.
Toodyay herald, April 2010, pp. 1, 3 (photo).
Shire of Toodyay. Annual report 2009-2010, p. 23-24.