This Day in History: 1995-06-10

Toodyay Golf Club celebrated the 75th anniversary of its formation on 25 May 1920, with a Nine Hole Ambrose Competition, won by members Harold Eddy, Mike Spence and Dennis Lloyd. An avenue of trees was planted on the golf course, off Racecourse Road, Toodyay, in the memory of life members Muriel and Peter Lee, Doug Forsyth, Tom Patten and Jack Williams. Club President Tony Hamersley also planted a tree in the memory of his grandmother Mrs. Vernon Hamersley (wife of the Club’s inaugural Patron), who drove the first ball at the official opening of the original golf course in 1920. Club Patron Doug Wood cut the cake.

Toodyay herald, 29 May 1920, p.5; July 1995, p.31 (photos).