This Day in History: 1992-04-27

The Alma Beard Community Health Centre, at 81 Stirling Terrace, Toodyay, was opened by Shire President Bob Somers. The centre was named after Toodyay nurse Alma Beard, who was killed in the Banka Island (now in Indonesia) massacre on 16 February 1942 during World War 2. The special guests included Alma’s sisters, Miss Kathleen Beard and Mrs. Doreen Johnson. Mrs. Vivian Statham (nee Bullwinkel), a former colleague of Alma, dedicated the name ‘Alma Beard’ to the new centre. Architects were Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown and the builder was Spadaccini Bros. of Northam. Shire funding, a Lotteries Commission grant and community donations contributed to the total cost of $450,000.

Toodyay herald, Mar. 1992, p.1; April 1992, p.1; May 1992, pp.1 (photo), 3 (photo).