This Day in History: 1990-10-20

An historic tree stump, to be known as the ‘Dewars Pool Christmas Tree’ was moved to the Old Gaol Museum, Clinton Street, Toodyay, through the efforts of the Toodyay Society and the Toodyay Tourist Centre. The stump was originally on the Old Dewars Pool Stock Route, 20 km north of Toodyay. The initials MT and HE and the date ‘25th Dec 1888’ are carved on the trunk. Locals were concerned about the risk of the stump being burnt so suggested it be moved to a safer place.

Source:
Toodyay herald, Nov. 1990, p.13 (photo).