This Day in History: 1963-03-24
The last service was held in the original Methodist Church (1898) building in Duke Street, Toodyay, with the sermon given by Rev. Neville Watson. The following day (25 March), the church trustees signed the documents handing over the property for demolition, to make way for the Standard Gauge Railway. The State Government offered to provide a site for a new Methodist church, and to pay compensation for the old church and other buildings being demolished along the railway route, which included the Doctor’s House (former Resident Magistrate’s residence) and the town’s first store. The local Methodists were invited to hold their services in St. Stephen’s Anglican Church.
Beverley times, 21 Mar. 1963, p.17.
West Australian, 22 Mar. 1963, p.14; 25 Mar. 1963, p.7.