This Day in History: 1949-06-01

1949: By the middle of the year: The Toodyay Racecourse had been redesigned by Toodyay Race Club Secretary Michael Vincent Keating (who was also the Secretary–Engineer of the Toodyay Road Board). The course circuit had been plotted by Mr. Thorpe, the Western Australian Turf Club course supervisor. The grandstand and the finishing straight were moved to the western side of the course. The natural slope of the land was adapted as a natural grandstand to afford spectators a good view. The work was done over 7 months by Road Board staff and busy-bees by the local residents.

Sources:
Toodyay herald, 2 June 1949, p.5.
Western mail, 28 July 1949, pp. 38-39.
Alf T. Thomas.  A history of Toodyay. Toodyay Road Board, 1949, p.25 (photo)