This Day in History: 1948-03-18
The Sanctuary of St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Toodyay, was consecrated by the Most Rev. Robert W.H. Moline, Anglican Archbishop of Perth, as a memorial to Flight Lieutenant Charles Augustus Lee-Steere and Lieutenant Roderick Yelverton Lee-Steere, who lost their lives in World War 2. The extension was designed by architect F.G.B. Hawkins and built by contractor Mr. Hawkins, with bricks from the demolished Nunyle Agricultural Hall. The State Minister for Lands (Mr. L. Thorn) was present.
Toodyay herald, 30 Jan. 1948, p.2; 26 Mar. 1948, p.1.
West Australian, 19 Mar. 1948, p.3.
Robyn Taylor & Ronald Bodycoat. St. Stephen’s Church, Toodyay, Western Australia: conservation plan. May 2006, pp. 25-26.