This Day in History: 1927-12-17
The Minister for Public Works, Alexander McCallum, opened the Toodyay Power Station in Stirling Terrace and the new Toodyay Road Board Chambers and offices in the renovated Toodyay Mechanics’ Institute building. The Acting Chairman of the Road Board, Edmund Glover Hasson, presided, as Chairman Jonathan Somers was absent due to ill health. Somers was the prime mover in installing the present scheme. Mrs. Catherine Somers started the larger of the two Petter crude oil engines. Mr. Williamson, engineer from the Public Works Dept., had helped with the installation of the new plant. The foundations of the new engines were laid down by Joseph Ablett Wroth.
Toodyay herald, 23 Dec. 1927, pp.1, 6.