This Day in History: 1927-05-20
During the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York to WA, 300 officers and sailors from the accompanying warships visited Toodyay. Travelling by train, the sailors were welcomed by W. Harrington, the Chairman of the Welcome Committee. The HMS Renown Band headed a procession to the Town Hall for luncheon. Sports followed on the Showgrounds. Each of the visitors was given a copy of a souvenir booklet entitled Souvenir Toodyay: to mark the visit of their Royal Highnesses, the Duke and Duchess of York, and officers and men of the HMS Renown and HMAS Sydney. The illustrated booklet was produced by the Toodyay Road Board and printed by the Toodyay Herald. NB The Duke and Duchess did not actually visit Toodyay, in spite of initial plans.
Toodyay herald, 21 May 1927, p.5.
Wally Chitty. Toodyay – the good old days. Hesperian Press, 2004, p.126.