This Day in History: 1925-04-04
Baker George Haymes first advertised his new shop, The Wendouree Bakery and Refreshment Rooms. Haymes had turned the Toodyay Bakery (once Oliver and Eva Whitfield’s store) on Toodyay’s Stirling Terrace into a residence and the residence next door became the new tea rooms, completed in February. Perth architect Percy W. Harrison designed the new shop, built by contractors Messrs. Duncan and Grandeston of Perth, and decorated by painter F.E. Baseden of Northam. A new feature was the cantilevered verandah, which did away with the supporting poles.
Toodyay herald, 7 Feb. 1925, p.2; 21 Feb. 1925, p.2; 28 Mar. 1925, p.1; 4 April 1925, p.1.
Wally Chitty. Toodyay – the good old days. Hesperian Press, 2004, pp.167-168.