This Day in History: 1922-02-14
A large bush fire that started on Mr. Waters’ property was fanned by strong winds and burnt out Ernest Augustus Lee Steere’s property ‘Hawthornden’, in the Toodyay Valley. Valuable stud stock was destroyed, as well as feed on other properties such as Frank Atwell’s property ‘Woodendale’. Residents believed that sparks from railway locomotive engines burning Collie coal had caused the fire.
West Australian, 15 Feb. 1922, p.7; 16 Feb. 1922, p.7.
Toodyay herald, 18 Feb. 1922, p.4; 25 Feb. 1922, p.4.