This Day in History: 1910-08-17
Catherine Somers, wife of the Mayor Jonathan Somers, laid the foundation stone of the Toodyay Town Hall (an extension of the Toodyay Municipal Chambers in New Road). Duncan Henry Braidwood, the licensee of the Freemasons’ Hotel, was the honorary supervisor of the project. He presented Mrs. Somers with a silver and ivory trowel to commemorate the occasion. [NB The stone has a 15 Aug. date but 17 August was when the event occurred]
Newcastle herald, 6 Aug. 1910, p.4; 13 Aug. 1910, p.5; 20 Aug. 1910, p.3.
Western mail, 20 Aug. 1910, p.42.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.355.