This Day in History: 1903-10-24

The new Newcastle Rifle Range, recently erected for the local division of D Squadron, Australian Light Horse, in the Toodyay Racecourse reserve, was officially opened in the presence of about 150 spectators. Miss Olive Davey (aged 7-8 years) fired the first shot and was presented with the blank cartridge by Lieut. Strachan. A smoke social was held in Newcastle’s Oddfellows’ Hall in the evening, when Sgt.-Instructor Abbott introduced to the members of the corps their new commanding officer, Lieut. Strachan, who had been promoted to the command of D Squadron, replacing Lieut. Henry W. (Harry) Clarkson, who had resigned.

Sources:
Newcastle herald, 5 Sept. 1903, p.5; 31 Oct. 1903, p.3.
West Australian, 30 Oct. 1903, p.3.