This Day in History: 1903-09-27
The Most Rev. Mathew Gibney, Bishop of Perth, officially opened the Convent of Mercy on New Road, Newcastle, for the Sisters of Mercy. The Convent buildings were designed by Perth architects Henderson & Jeffries and constructed by the Hart Bros. also of Perth. The project was assisted by donations from the Connor (O’Connor) family. The two-storey brick structure, containing 18 rooms and a capacious cellar, was described as the most up-to-date building in the district, with fittings, ventilation, etc. of the most modern description. Fourteen Stations of the Cross were erected, a donation from Mrs Theresa Quinlan (nee Connor) and her brother Mayor Bernard Maurice Connor.
Newcastle herald, 21 Mar. 1903, p.4; 26 Sept. 1903, p.5.
West Australian, 2 Oct. 1903, p.4.
W.A. record, 26 Sept. 1903, p.14; 3 Oct. 1903, p.6.
Toodyay herald, Feb. 2003, p.9.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p. 351.