This Day in History: 1890-09-22
It was noted that the Toodyay Agricultural Show was to be held on the new ground (ie the Recreation Ground owned by the Newcastle Football Club) in North Newcastle. (The Newcastle Athletic Club was the actual ‘owner’ or trustee. The Cricket and Football Clubs were affiliated with the Athletic Club.) The new ground (later to be known as the Showgrounds) was shortly to be fenced, and had more room than the old Showgrounds at the back of the Newcastle Government School.
West Australian, 27 Sept. 1890, p.2.
Western mail, 4 Oct. 1890, p.16.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.315.