This Day in History: 1886-04-19
Throssell and Son of Northam opened the business they had bought from Charles Edward Dempster, which included the Toodyay Steam Mill and store, and Vine Cottage, all at Mill Farm (1 mile north of Newcastle). The Throssells later bought a shop from Dan Connor situated next to the Freemasons’ Hotel. The Dempsters moved to the ‘Springfield’ property in the Northam district.
West Australian, 1 April 1886, p. 3;14 April 1886, p. 3; 21 April 1886, p. 2.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.286.
Rica Erickson & Robyn Taylor. Toodyay homesteads. Hesperian Press, 2006, p.88
Australian dictionary of biography online (viewed 1 Nov. 2021): https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/dempster-charles-edward-3880