This Day in History: 1879-04-06

1879 April: A portion of the old Toodyay Depot Warders’ Quarters building on Fiennes Street, Newcastle, was converted into gaol cells and a day-room for female prisoners (Women’s Gaol). The Court House had a new witness box and a dock for the prisoners, who were to be brought into the Court House through a new door leading from the old hospital yard.

Western Australian times, 2 May 1879, p.2.