This Day in History: 1878-05-08
The Independent Order of Good Templars held a tea meeting at the opening of its new (but not completely finished) lodge room known as the Temperance Hall, on Fiennes Street, Newcastle. This building is still in use today (2021) by the Toodyay Masonic Lodge.
Eastern districts chronicle, 11 May 1878, p.2.
Western Australian times, 21 May 1878, p.2.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.234.