This Day in History: 1874-11-25
The Toodyay Independent Order of the Good Templars, known as the Light of the Hills Lodge, No. 9, had a day of celebrations, with visitors from Northam and York. Sports were held on the Newcastle cricket ground, followed by a procession at 5pm through town, and then tea in a booth in the grounds of Bro. Charles Samuel Monger. That evening a meeting was held in the lodge room over Monger’s Store, near the Newcastle Bridge. Monger was the Worthy Chief Templar.
Inquirer, 9 Dec. 1874, p.2.
Western Australian times, 1 Dec. 1874, p.3.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.233.