This Day in History: 1863-01-06
In 1863, convicts began building the new Lock-Up at Newcastle, sited on Lot 29, opposite the police quarters on Clinton Street. It comprised Warder’s quarters, a prisoners’ kitchen and dayroom and a row of seven cells along one of the high walls of the exercise yard. The planned Court Room did not eventuate.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.202.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, p.99.