This Day in History: 1860-08-03
It was reported that a preliminary survey had been conducted by Surveyor Alfred Hillman of 380 acres around the original 45 ¼ acres at the Toodyay Convict Hiring Depot site, for a new town site to be called Newcastle. A proposed bridge site over the Avon River to old Toodyay was also marked.
Perth gazette, 10 Aug. 1860, p.2.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, p. 88.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.165.
Dr. Robyn Taylor’s notes (Field book, Aug. 1860)