This Day in History: 1852-12-08
Enrolled Pensioner Guard John Jones was appointed the first Gaoler of the Toodyay Gaol, in old Toodyay. The gaol consisted of 13 cells and Warder’s Quarters, which continued to be used until 1861. Resident Magistrate Joseph Strelley Harris used the store-room at the Gaol as his Court Room.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, pp. 57, 91, 129.