This Day in History: 1851-09-20
Thatched A-frame huts had been erected on Lot R1 in old Toodyay in anticipation of the arrival of the Enrolled Pensioner Guards and families at the Toodyay Convict Hiring Depot’s first site. This lot became known as the Pensioner Barracks, or, simply, ‘The Barracks’.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, pp. 20, 23.