This Day in History: 1851-08-18
Having been held up by the floods, the first contingent of 28 ticket-of-leave men left Guildford for old Toodyay, in the charge of overseer Private James Stanford, an Enrolled Pensioner Guard. The second contingent of 12 ticket-of-leave men left the Mt. Eliza Depot for old Toodyay, having been collected by Michael Clarkson, who had been appointed the Superintendent of the Toodyay Convict Hiring Depot.
Perth gazette, 25 July 1851, p.3.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, p.9.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.96.