This Day in History: 1849-07-03
William Herbert secured a licence for a first wayside inn in old Toodyay, which he called the Royal Oak. This was located on Lot R28, near the ford and opposite Conlin’s store and the Police Barracks, on the left bank of the Avon River.
Perth gazette, 6 July 1849, p.2.
Alison Cromb. The history of the Toodyay Convict Depot. A. Cromb, 2010, pp. 17, 19.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, p.77.
Wally Chitty. Toodyay – the good old days. Hesperian Press, 2004, p.161.