This Day in History: 1839-01-01
1839: The Toodyay Roads Trust was formed and the first Directors appointed (Capt. Francis Whitfield and Thomas Newte Yule).
The area controlled covered much the same area as the Magisterial district, and extended southwards to the Northam town site, and westwards to near Baylup. The northward and eastward boundaries were assumed to be the limits of settlement. Roads Trusts continued until 1847.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, pp.31, 56.