This Day in History: 1836-05-04
Captain Francis Whitfield, the Anderson partners (Alexander and son-in-law Thomas) and James Drummond Snr., set off from Upper Swan to blaze a new track to the Toodyay Brook to inspect their grants U2 (Knockdominie), U3 (Mt. Anderson) and U4 (Hawthornden) respectively. Drummond learnt of the name Duidgee for the area from Noongar man Babbing.
Alison Cromb. The road to Toodyay. A. Cromb, 2016, pp. 35-37.
Perth gazette, 21 May 1836; 28 May 1836.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, pp.19-20.
Rica Erickson. The Drummonds of Hawthornden. Lamb Paterson, 1969, pp. 31-32.