This Day in History: 1836-01-04
Thomas Newte Yule and his partners Captain Richmond Houghton and Lieut. Ninian Lowis were granted Avon Location 5, a grant of almost 15,000 acres, which occupied one third of the whole Toodyay Valley, stretching from Bejoording northwards to beyond the Bolgart Water Reserve. The place became known as ‘The Byeen’, referring to a balancing rock on the property. Yule later leased this grant to John Scully, who would receive 2,000 acres of the property along the northern boundary in return for performing location duties.
Rica Erickson. Old Toodyay and Newcastle. Toodyay Shire Council, 1974, pp.25, 35.
Rica Erickson & Robyn Taylor. Toodyay homesteads. Hesperian Press, 2006, pp. 110-111.