The Toodyay Memorial Hall (1910): a short history, by Beth Frayne.
Extract from Duidgeeana, the newsletter of the Toodyay Historical Society (Inc.), Issue No. 20, Mar April 2011, pp. 6-8.
Photo caption: Toodyay Memorial Hall, 117 Stirling Terrace, when the main street footpaths were being repaved. Side entrance to the hall seen on the right. (Photo: Beth Frayne, 2008)
Introduction: The following is a short essay about the history of the building and some of the events held within its walls. In October 2010, Toodyay celebrated the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of its Memorial Hall, located on Toodyay’s main street, Stirling Terrace. The current building incorporates the original Municipal Council Chambers (1899), now the foyer (or Lesser Hall) and rest rooms, and the purpose-built Town Hall extension (1910) to the rear. A rear extension was added in 1956-1957 and a side extension in 1990-1991, when the whole building was restored and renovated.
The Hall was allocated Category 2 status in the Toodyay Municipal Inventory (2010) and has been in continuous use by Toodyay’s local government and community since 1899.
File date: 7 Nov. 2022. Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers