ToodyaYesterday essay: Nunyle Agricultural Hall (1904-1947): a short history

Nunyle Agricultural Hall : a short history, by Beth Frayne.

Extract from Duidgeeana, the newsletter of the Toodyay Historical Society (Inc.), Issue No. 26, Mar-April 2012, pp. 7-9.

Photo caption: Installing the hall’s memorial stone at the original site: L-R, Len Leeder, Peter Robinson, Mrs. Ray Paynter.     (Photo: B. Frayne, 2012)

How the stone returned home

At some point, the hall’s memorial stone found its way into the care of the Shire of Toodyay, and resided quietly in the Old Stables in Clinton Street. In July 2009, Mrs. Ray Paynter requested the Society’s assistance to return the stone to its original site and mount appropriate signage on the hall site, now owned by Ray. Len Leeder and Nina Paterson rose to the challenge. The Re-installation Project was accepted as a THS Project for the 175th Anniversary Year (2011) and Shire funds paid for the protective glass front for the stone. Len managed the Project. In March 2012, Peter Robinson with help from Len and Joe Edgecombe built the pillar for the stone, using Hasell bricks donated by Bob Frayne and also some original Nunyle Hall bricks supplied by Ray Paynter.

File date: 15 July 2023. Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers