Focus on Pelham Reserve, by Beth Frayne.
Extract from Duidgeeana, the newsletter of the Toodyay Historical Society (Inc.), Issue No. 29, Summer 2012, pp. 6-8.
Photo caption: The Old Town Dam (1900), off Pelham Street, with spillway going off on the top right. (Photo: EC Frayne, 2009)
Extract from the essay:
Place and Name; Pelham Reserve is located on the northern slopes of the southern ridge of hills overlooking the town of Toodyay. The area is currently designated as Reserve 17498, and listed on the Shire of Toodyay’s Municipal Inventory (Entry 98, Category 2 (Considerable significance)). In 1978, part of this reserve was designated as Parks and Recreation Reserve No. 35809, which had an area of least 44 hectares. So we can assume that Pelham Reserve’s current purpose is still probably the same. It is no longer a water reserve as the water run-off is not used for public consumption, and it is no longer used as a rifle range. It is a good example of a flora and fauna reserve, being a York Gum and Jam Tree woodland, sometimes populated by euros (marsupials). Pelham and Henry Streets form part of the northern boundary, closest to the centre of town, along with the top end of Duke Street, which gives access to the Pelham Lookout.
File date: 10 Nov. 2023. Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers