ToodyaYesterday essay: A Tale of Two Churches and a Presbytery

A tale of a two churches and a presbytery, by Robyn Taylor.

Extract from Duidgeeana, the newsletter of the Toodyay Historical Society (Inc.), Issue No. 30, Autumn 2013, pp. 5-8.

Photo caption: The former Presbytery. (Photo: Robyn Taylor, 2012)

Extract from the essay:

As travellers come into the town of Toodyay from the direction of Perth two very different churches are seen on either side of Stirling Terrace. On the left is the old deconsecrated Roman Catholic church of St John the Baptist (1863) and opposite, in the Roman Catholic precinct and proudly declaring its 1960s modernity, is the replacement St John the Baptist church (1963).  After it was deconsecrated, the old church was in danger of being demolished and was saved by the efforts of heritage minded advocates. Now converted into a private home, the old church stands proudly on its elevated site advertising the fact you are entering a declared historic town. Although the 1963 church stands out like the proverbial ‘sore thumb’, it is a reminder of how the 1960s was a youthful and forward-looking decade that rejected traditional ways in favour of experiment and innovation. And of course ‘old fashioned’ brick and masonry buildings were very expensive to build. The simplicity of modernity had the benefit of being that much more affordable.

File date: 10 Dec. 2023. Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers