Toodyay History at a Glance: 1930s

Toodyay’s main street was bituminised. Unemployment became an issue. A Swimming Club was formed, to swim in the river, and a junior farmers’ club.  A tragic collision between a school bus and a local train had a long-term traumatic impact. The Memorial Park was upgraded and ANZAC day dawn services commenced. A Whippet Club came and went, as did the local doctors. The year 1933 was chosen to celebrate the district’s Centenary. A new grandstand in the Showgrounds replaced the old one destroyed by fire. Floods, flower shows and wheelbarrow races abounded. New buildings and amenities were opened: CWA Rest Room, fire station, bowling green, golf links, and a hall and an Anglican church in Bolgart. The Toodyay State School was presented with the Cockram Shield, having won this event for three years for its rural school displays at the Royal Show. A continuous electric light service commenced as did World War 2. The Toodyay National Emergency League was formed.

File Date: 19 Feb. 2024 Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers