Toodyay History at a Glance: 1880s

Much time was spent discussing proposed routes of the Eastern Railway, with the Newcastle Branch from Clackline formally opened on 5 January 1888 thus linking the Toodyay district more closely with other areas of the state. The Northam and Newcastle Settlers’ Association was formed to lobby the government about settlers’ needs; it later became the Eastern Districts Association, when York members joined. Gold fever commenced with discoveries in the Yilgarn, east of Newcastle. The new Newcastle Government School was built in Duke Street. The Chairman of the Newcastle Municipal Council became the Mayor. Lots were for sale in subdivisions known as North and West Newcastle. North Newcastle included the new Recreation Ground, owned by the Newcastle Athletic Club.

File Date: 3 Nov. 2021 Access: Investigator and Query Subscribers