This page is being prepared and will be available soon.
Left: Donegan’s Cottage, headquarters of Toodyay Historical Society
1901 James advertised a cottage in North Newcastle, occupied by his son, William James Donegan (Bill).
Bill and Margaret Reardon (Maggie) had married in 1890. Their first child, Douglas William, died at birth in 1892.
They raised their five surviving children in Donegan’s Cottage:
1910 Lot 19 and part of Lot 23 were transferred to the Crown, probably for the new Bolgart railway line across part of the Showgrounds behind Donegan’s Cottage. The remainder of Lot 23 containing the cottage was transferred to James Donegan’s son Bill.
Bill was the caretaker of the Showgrounds until his death in 1954. The cottage and part of Lot 24 were left to his son Harold, an employee of Industrial Extracts Ltd, who had married Blanche Leeder in 1941.
There were further alterations to lot numbers over the years, and in 1977, the front part of Lot 23 became Lot 201.
1981 The Toodyay Shire Council bought Donegan’s Cottage to extend the Showgrounds. Harold Donegan was granted tenancy until his death in 1993. Blanche had died six months before him.
See what's new in the mill exhibits. Please bring a plate to share and BYO drinks.
Members enjoyed Toby's innovative approach of using rap lyrics to tell the story of James Cook’s 1770 exploration to the southern continent; and the legal consequences of Terra Nullius becoming a foundation Crown Law with its non-recognition of Australia’s indigenous people.
Toby also discussed the different attitudes of the French [explorer and naturalist] Captain Nicholas Baudin, who countermanded his instruction from Napoleon to plant the French flag wherever he could, thus making claim to land for France. Baudin was far more sympathetic to the indigenous people he encountered.
Part 2, in October, will cover events up to and including Mabo.
Four THS members attended this and were impressed by the City of Wanneroo venues and smooth running of the conference. Speakers were inspiring, including members of long-established families involved in local industries, such as market gardening and lime- burning kilns.
Several members attended this morning tea and greatly enjoyed the talk by Bob Dixon,in particular his extensive knowledge of wheat belt native plants.
Did you know that filming was carried out in Toodyay for three commercial movies during the 1980s?
At the recent Toodyay movie nostalgia night, an appreciative audience watched some very entertaining trailers and short excerpts from Shame, Zombie Brigade and Black Medicine, identifying many Toodyay settings and locals who were 'extras'.
There were also historical local home movies and short talks on the picture shows in Toodyay and the careers of our member Beth's father and grandfather in the WA film industry.
Did you miss it? Then visit Donegan's Cottage at the Toodyay Agricultural Show in October. There will be a display of photographs and film of Film and Picture Shows in Toodyay.
A small group of members was lucky enough to be able to visit historic Egoline Homestead prior to the departure of its most recent owners.
The property was taken up by Richard Hinds (1837), then by John Sewell (1854), the Wilkerson family (1870), the Sharman Family (1986-1992). has There are three sections to the main homestead building, dating from the 1850s, 1870 and 1917. A small cottage was added in the 1930s.
At the July meeting, Wayne Clarke presented a fascinating talk on the history of the River Training Scheme implemented by five councils from Brookton to Toodyay. This scheme changed the river forever. We were also treated to a short film relating to this scheme.
Jenny led this informative tour for our June excursion. We started with the site of the old railway station (present-day Medical Centre) in Toodyay and ended at St. Philip’s Anglican Church graveyard, Culham, for afternoon tea.
In between, we visited the remains of the Avon River railway bridge, railway embankments along Toodyay West Road and other railway sites along the Toodyay-Bindi Bindi Road were visited. One of the highlights was viewing what Jenny believes must be the location of Charles Yock Lunn’s homestead and Lunn’s Landing at Coondle.